The Council on Sexual Orientation and Gender Expression (CSOGE) is proud to announce a call for papers to be considered for the second annual Sexual Orientation and Gender Expression (SOGE) Scholarship Award. Inspired by the CSWE Feminist Scholarship Award, the award recognizes scholarship that contributes to knowledge about sexual orientation and gender expression; the individual and systemic issues associated with these topics; the development of social work curriculum materials and faculty growth opportunities relevant to sexual orientation and gender expression; and the experiences of individuals who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and/or two-spirit. Learn more about 2012 SOGE Scholarship Award Winners.
An invitation to apply for the award is extended to all accepted paper presenters for the CSWE 2013 Annual Program Meeting (APM). CSOGE particularly encourages submission of scholarly papers that
- further the development and availability of social work education curriculum materials related to sexual orientation and gender expression;
- provide faculty development opportunities related to sexual orientation and gender expression;
- identify and critically analyze policies, procedures, or activities that impede full and affirming participation within CSWE and social work education of students and faculty who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, or two-spirit;
- facilitate development of leadership in faculty members who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, or two-spirit;
- advance knowledge of affirming, innovative, and effective social work practices and educational models related to sexual orientation and gender expression;
- explore ethics and social justice for social work practice with gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, or two-spirit individuals;
- address historical aspects of sexual orientation and gender expression in the social work profession;
- promote strategies for understanding the intersections of sexual orientation and gender expression with race, class, culture, disability, age, and other identities; and
- explore international aspects of social welfare for persons of diverse sexual orientations and gender expression.
If you are interested in submitting your paper for consideration for the SOGE Scholarship Award, please e-mail the following to Catherine Crisp, CSOGE SOGE chair, at email@example.com by 8:00 AM Central Time on Monday, July 1, 2013:
- A copy of your scholarly paper as a Word document with all identifying information removed from the document;
- A separate title page with the name, credentials, affiliation, and e-mail addresses for all authors and that identifies the corresponding author.
Papers authored by any recipients of the SOGE Scholarship Award within the last 3 years will not be considered for the award. Papers will be blindly reviewed by at least two CSOGE members, and the winner will be notified in advance of the 2013 APM. Winners will be notified in mid-August and asked to provide additional biographical information and a picture, which may be printed in the APM program if space permits. At least one author of the paper must agree to attend the award presentation at the 2013 APM in Dallas, TX.