The Council on Disability and Persons With Disabilities is a council of the Commission on Diversity and Social and Economic Justice. The council functions to develop social work education resources that are related to issues surrounding disability and the experiences of individuals with disabilities. The council also works to facilitate the full participation of people with disabilities in social work education and is ready to assist in all endeavors related to issues of disability within this field. Finally, the council advocates to include social, political, and economic matters involving disability and individuals with disabilities in the framework of social work education.
Charge From the Commission
The Council on Disability and Persons With Disabilities shall have the following functions:
- To further the development of social work education curriculum materials related to the issues of disability and experiences of persons with disabilities
- To identify and advocate for redress of procedures within academe and social work education that impede full participation of persons with disabilities
- To recommend to the Board, commissions, and membership policy statements, revisions, and activities that advance inclusive participation of persons with disabilities where appropriate
- To offer consultation and assistance in all endeavors related to issues of disability and persons with disabilities at all levels of social work education, including the accreditation process
- To stimulate initiatives and activities that would bring the social, political, and economic issues of disability strongly within the framework of social work education
2010 APM Series Session
The Council on Disability and Persons With Disabilities held the following session at the 2010 APM.
Universal Design: Toward an Inclusive Learning Environment
An estimated 9 to 17% of postsecondary students have disabilities. Nevertheless, young adults with disabilities remain less likely to pursue and complete postsecondary education as compared to individuals without disabilities. This session explored challenges and opportunities for incorporating teaching strategies and technology to enhance learning for all students.
Universal Design: Toward an Inclusive Learning Environment (PPT)
Resources on Universal Design for Learning (Word)