The Commission on Accreditation (COA) and Commission on Educational Policy (COEP) at the Council on Social Work Education are in the process of revising the Educational Policy and Accreditation Standards (EPAS). The revision is taking place in accordance with the CSWE bylaws, which mandate that the policy statement be reviewed “at periodic intervals not to exceed 7 years." CSWE’s recognition by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) also requires that accreditors have a process whereby standards are reviewed periodically.
The educational policy was approved by the CSWE Board of Directors on March 20, 2015 and is available for public review. The educational policy details the new social work competencies for the 2015 EPAS. The revised accreditation standards will be voted on by the COA at its June 10-12, 2015 meeting with implementation of the new EPAS planned to be effective July 1, 2015 (see implementation schedule). Programs that have reaffirmation reviews in October 2017 or later would use the 2015 EPAS to prepare their self-studies. This page will outline developments in the revision process and provide information on the feedback received.
The five-plus-year standards review process, documented below, resulted in three drafts issued for public review and comment. The intent of both commissions was to solicit feedback from as many constituents as possible in as many ways as possible CSWE’s Commission on Educational Policy (COEP) and Commission on Accreditation (COA) would like to thank the programs, individuals, organizations and communities of interest that provided feedback on all of the drafts. The final comment period closed on December 31, 2014. Feedback on Draft 3 is being reviewed by COEP and COA in January and February and final drafts of the educational policy and accreditation standards will be presented for approval by the CSWE Board of Directors and CSWE Commission on Accreditation. If you have any questions, please contact CSWE by e-mail at EPASrevision@cswe.org.
Final 2015 Educational Policy available here
- Developed by CSWE’s Commission on Educational Policy (COEP)-details the social work competencies for the 2015 EPAS
- Approved by CSWE Board of Directors on March 20, 2015
- The COA is scheduled to vote on the accreditation standards in June 2015. If approved, the complete 2015 EPAS will be released to the public on July 1, 2015.
- CSWE is releasing the educational policy now so programs can begin to use the social work competencies in their curricula and assessment procedures if they would like to do so
Draft 3 Feedback
Draft 3 Information
The third draft contained modifications from the first and second drafts which are the result of the COEP and COA’s detailed review of all submitted comments and feedback sessions. An Overview of the Feedback on Draft 2 of the 2015 EPAS summarizes the following highlights:
- An open online survey was available from March 14–May 16, 2014 to submit feedback and comments. Approximately 64 surveys were collected (increase from 24 received on Draft 1). Specific feedback and comments are available here.
- Two EPAS feedback sessions were held during the BPD Conference in Louisville, KY on March 22 (~150 people attended) and the NADD Conference in Asheville, NC on April 11 (~100 people attended). Specific feedback and comments are available here.
- Comments were also submitted from individuals, social work programs and social work affinity groups through the CSWE EPAS e-mail address and also by regular mail. Specific feedback and comments are available here.
Draft 2 Information
Draft 1 Information