Programs were asked a number of questions about program structure, such as setting, application process, and tenure policies. Regarding institutional setting, the highest percentage of programs are located in urban settings (44%; 168). Notably, the percentage of baccalaureate programs in a rural setting is higher than at the master’s (17.4%; 28) or doctoral (3.8%; 2).
Programs by Primary Setting
44% (168) Rural
34% (131) Suburban
22% (85) Urban
A number of new questions were asked in 2007 regarding program policies, including a question about whether programs ask students to fill out an application to declare social work as a major. The majority of programs (77.7%; 304) reported that an application is required. Other new questions in 2007 addressed tenure policy.
• Changed policy for granting tenure 11.8% (44)
• Made the standards more stringent for granting tenure 14.8% (55)
• Reduced the number of tenured faculty and instructional staff through downsizing 1.6% (6)
• Replaced tenured or tenure-track faculty with faculty on fixed term contracts 8.6% (32)
Tenure Policy for Baccalaureate Programs
• Offered early or phased retirement to tenured faculty or staff
Most Recent Issue