In order to create more interaction between older adults in our community and BSW students, Ferris State University's BEL project initiated a number of classroom assignments, evaluations, and projects. Advanced interviewing students were given the option to go into our local nursing home rather than just to the elementary school to practice interviewing skills; macro practice students organized a community event bringing children into a Halloween haunted house hosted in an assisted living facility; and Human Behavior & the Social Environment assignments integrated interviews with older adults discussing life review and social changes through technology. Students also worked on fitness and healthy aging through use of the Wii gaming system.
Courses that Included Experiential Activity:
- Human Behavior & The Social Environment
- Practice with Individuals
- Practice with Groups
Gero Practice Behaviors:
- Establish rapport and maintain an effective working relationship with older adults and family members.
- Use empathy and sensitive interviewing skills to engage older clients in identifying their strengths and problems.
- Identify the availability of resources and resource systems for older adults and their families.