The Council on Field Education is a council of the Commission on Educational Policy (COEP). The Council on Field Education advances the role of field education as the signature pedagogy in social work education by promoting, collaborating with, recommending, and distributing information to social work field educators and related membership organizations. The council actively participates in discussions regarding the Educational Policy and Accreditation Standards to ensure and strengthen the integration of theory and practice.
Charge From the Commission
The Council on Field Education shall have the following functions:
- To recommend to COEP policy statements and accreditation standards that advance field education as the signature pedagogy of social work education.
- To provide leadership and consultation to CSWE and COEP regarding field education as the signature pedagogy.
- To take leadership in the Field Directors’ Development Institute by reviewing and accepting proposals for the Annual Program Meeting in coordination with the CSWE Council on Conferences and Faculty Development.
- To plan and facilitate a “Training for New Field Educators” workshop at the Annual Program Meeting.
- To develop initiatives and disseminate relevant knowledge to assist and/or inform social work educators and various constituencies about field education as the signature pedagogy in social work education.
- To promote curricular integration between classroom and field education among members of the professional community by encouraging systematically designed, supervised, coordinated, and evaluated field education experiences to educate competent beginning professional social workers.
- To collaborate with membership organizations such as the North American Network of Field Educators and Directors, regional field education consortia, and the Association of Baccalaureate Social Work Program Directors.
- To employ a nomination process that assures Field Council representation using a transparent process that is geographically broad and embodies diversity.
Individuals who wish to be added to the Field Directors electronic mailing list should contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Individuals do not have to be members of CSWE to join the electronic mailing list.