Information for Students and Social Workers

Frequently-Asked Questions

Find answers to our frequently-asked questions. If you have a question not on this list, please ask it here.

Social Work Licensing Information

Licensing of social work practitioners is under the authority of a designated office in each individual state. Most states, districts, and territories require that a social worker pursuing licensure or sitting for a licensing exam be a graduate of a CSWE-accredited program. 

Contact information for individual state licensing boards can be found on the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) website at or through an internet search for a licensing board for a particular state.

The Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) is the association of boards that regulate social work. ASWB develops and maintains the social work licensing examination used across the country and is a central resource for information on the legal regulation of social work. Through the association, social work boards can share information and work together. ASWB also is available to help individual social workers and social work students with questions they may have about licensing and the social work examinations.