Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity and Expression Scholarship (SOGIE) Award
The award recognizes scholarship that contributes to knowledge about sexual orientation and gender identity and expression; the individual and systemic issues associated with these topics; the development of social work curriculum materials and faculty growth opportunities relevant to sexual orientation and gender identity and expression; and the experiences of individuals who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and/or two-spirit.
Award Judging Criteria
CSWE members are invited to submit relevant scholarly papers for consideration. The Council on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity and Expression (CSOGIE) particularly encourages submission of manuscripts that do the following:
- Further the development and availability of social work education curriculum materials related to sexual orientation and gender identity and expression
- Provide faculty development opportunities related to sexual orientation and gender identity and expression
- Identify and critically analyze policies, procedures, or activities that impede full and affirming participation in CSWE and social work education of students and faculty members who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, or two-spirit
- Facilitate development of leadership in faculty members who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, or two-spirit
- Advance knowledge of affirming, innovative, and effective social work practices and educational models related to sexual orientation and gender identity and expression
- Explore ethics and social justice for social work practice with gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, or two-spirit individuals
- Address historical aspects of sexual orientation and gender identity and expression in the social work profession
- Promote strategies for understanding the intersections of sexual orientation and gender identity and expression with race, class, culture, disability, age, and other identities
- Explore international aspects of social welfare for persons of diverse sexual orientations and gender identities and expression
At least two members of CSOGIE will review the nominations and select the awardee. Biographical information and a photo of the awardee will appear on the CSWE website and may be included in the Annual Program Meeting Final Program if space permits.
Award Submission Guidelines
- a copy of your scholarly paper as a Word document with all identifying information removed, including references to location and institutional affiliation; and
- a separate title page showing the name, credentials, affiliation, and email addresses of all authors and identifying the corresponding author.
At least one author of the paper must attend the award presentation during the LGBT Caucus/CSOGIE Reception at CSWE's 2023 Annual Program Meeting.
The annual award will consist of a plaque.
All applications must be submitted through the Online Submittable Form by Friday March 24, 2023 at 11:59 PM (ET). Please note that each award has different requirements. E-mailed or incomplete nominations will not be accepted.
Frequently Asked Questions
Review the FAQ page to learn more about the SOGIE Scholarship Award.