About Public Policy Initiative
Through its Public Policy Initiative, CSWE strives to promote the value of social work education on the national stage. With the help of its membership, CSWE advocates for issues important to social work education by interacting with the U.S. Congress, the various agencies within the federal government, and other organizations throughout the social work and higher education communities. CSWE's Public Policy Initiative seeks to enhance social work education and the profession through developing and implementing thoughtful public policy that is focused on providing the very best education, training, and financial assistance for social workers. It addresses the educational needs associated with fostering a sustainable and competent social work workforce.
View the CSWE Advocacy Handbook here.
A Reliable Resource
CSWE’s Public Policy Initiative keeps its members and the public informed about the latest policy developments affecting social work educators, students, and practitioners. It can serve as a reliable, regular resource for understanding and navigating how the nuances of policy change can affect their lives. Contact CSWE's government relations staff.
CSWE Advocacy and Policy Resources
CSWE developed the following sets of principles to help guide its activities. These working documents were written to inform policymakers in a way that represents its membership and the community served by social workers.
- Role of Social Work Education in School Safety and Gun Violence Prevention
- Social Work: A Vital Workforce to Address the Opioid Crisis
- Ensuring Quality and Accessibility: CSWE Principles for a Higher Education Act Reauthorization
- Ensuring Access to Care and Protecting Underserved and Vulnerable Populations: Principles for Health-Care Public Policy
- CSWE Principles for Accreditation in the Reauthorization of Higher Education Act
- The Role of Social Work in Interprofessional Education
- The Impact of Social Work Research Principles for Public Policy