2021 Carl A. Scott Book Scholarship Winners
Nida most recently finished with her master’s in social work program at California State University, East Bay, with a 4.0 GPA. Nida began volunteering as an SAT tutor for underprivileged high school students during her undergraduate years. Read more about Nida's experience below.
"I’ve lived in a multigenerational assisted living facility and volunteered as a companion to the senior citizens. At the Refugee Women’s Network, I put together classes for women refugees. I taught mosaic art to children of domestic violence at Camp Peace through the Women’s Resource Center to end Domestic Violence. For the past 5 years, I’ve been employed at Oakland Unified School District at an east Oakland Middle School, as a family resource coordinator. Most recently, I was a second-year unpaid intern, as a case manager for Beyond Emancipation. I worked with foster youths who aged out of the foster care system. We worked on educational, work, and personal goal setting and achieving. Change for my community is what I work toward in all my initiatives. Social work is the natural direction my career is taking. Through the course of my education at San Francisco State University, my work experience in Oakland Unified Middle Schools, my volunteerism with other community-based organizations, and my time in the MSW, CSUEB program, I’ve learned that to work toward a more equitable society, one must have direction, a path, and a purpose."
At Aurora University Grayson will be pursuing his MSW, and he will follow the school social work track. His internship will take place in a middle school, and hopes to work at that level once he graduates. Grayson also hopes to volunteer his time with LGBTQ+ organizations in his community and work with Trans youths. Read more about Grayson's experience below.
Health Care Network - BSW Intern
- Created Health Care Network’s case management program.
- Did new patient intakes to help uninsured Racine County residents get connected with free/low-cost health-care services.
- Interpreted between English and Spanish for nurses, doctors, dentists, and clients.
- Connected Health Care Network clients to free immigration law consults and created a referral partnership between Health Care Network and a Wisconsin immigration law firm.
Western DuPage Special Recreation Association - Camp Counselor
- Provides one-on-one care to kids, teens, and adults with disabilities.
- Helps work with campers and participants to reach their camp goals.
- Builds relationships with campers and their parents.
- Works to help calm down campers and participants during crisis situations.
- Interacts with diverse campers and participants to ensure they have a great experience.
- Glenbard Voices of Equity - Alumni Transgender Representative
- Maintains cooperative working relationships with school board members and administrators about LGBTQ+ issues and policies in District 87 high schools.
- Organizes with current and past students, their families, and community members.
- Spoke on LGBTQ+ community informational panels at a local library and church.