2013 JSWE Awards
Best Reviewer for 2013
Beverly M. Black
The 2013 Best Reviewer award recipient is Beverly M. Black (University of Texas at Arlington). Editorial Advisory Board members praised Black for the comprehensiveness and organization of her reviews and for her exceptional ability to balance critique of an author's work with encouragement for improvement. The winners of the Best Reviewer awards are selected by the Journal of Social Work Education Editorial Advisory Board to honor manuscript reviewers who have shown exceptional service in responsiveness to requests for review, timeliness in submitting completed reviews, and quality of written reviews. Black will be honored at the Reviewers Reception at the 2013 CSWE Annual Program Meeting in Dallas, TX.
Best Articles for 2013
The criteria for choosing the Best Articles published in the Journal of Social Work Education include the importance and timeliness of the content, originality of thought, innovative conceptualization of the topic, and presentation of conclusions and/or recommendations that add significantly to the professional knowledge base and to social work education. The award winners for this year will be honored at the Reviewers Reception at the 2013 CSWE Annual Program Meeting in Dallas, TX. The Best Article award winners are available at Taylor & Francis Online for viewing and free download through June 2014.
Best Conceptual Article Award
- Phillip Dybicz, "The Hero(ine) on a Journey: A Postmodern Conceptual Framework for Social Work Practice" (vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 267–283; doi:10.5175/JSWE.2012.20100005)
- Honorable mention: Dorothy N. Gamble, "Well-being in a Globalized World: Does Social Work Know How to Make it Happen?" (vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 669–689; doi: 10.5175/JSWE.2012.201100125)
Best Empirical Article (Qualitative) Award
- Cheryl Regehr, Marion Bogo, Kirsten Donovan, Susan Anstice, and April Lim, "Identifying Student Competencies in Macro Practice: Articulating the Practice Wisdom of Field Instructors" (vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 307–319; doi: 10.5175/JSWE.2012.201000114)
- Honorable mention: Anne K. Hughes, Pilar S. Horner, and Daniel Vélez Ortiz, "Being the Diversity Hire: Negotiating Identity in an Academic Job Search" (vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 595–612; doi: 10.5175/JSWE.2012.201000101)
Best Empirical Article (Quantitative) Award
- Benjamin J. Lough, Amanda Moore McBride, and Margaret S. Sherraden, "Measuring International Service Outcomes: Implications for International Social Work Field Placements" (vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 479–499; doi: 10.5175/JSWE.2012.201000047)
- Honorable mention: Ronnie Kaufman, Dorit Segal-Engelchin, and Efrat Huss, "Transitions in First-Year Students’ Initial Practice Orientations" (vol. 48, no 2, pp. 337–359; doi: 10.5175/JSWE.2012.201000105)